I received the following products in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed are 100 percent my own. This post contains affiliate links.
In the past, I’ve tried turmeric powder (the spice from the supermarket) and turmeric capsules to naturally reduce pain and inflammation. From my experience, turmeric powder works the best. Now, you can just sprinkle a bit of turmeric on you food to get the full effect. You should have about 1 teaspoon of it in the form of golden paste. I find that it tastes great when you make golden milk.
Golden Paste Recipe
- ½ cup ground turmeric (look for an organic product that has high levels of curcumin
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil or coconut oil
- Add ½ cup of turmeric and 1 cup of distilled water in a stainless steel saucepan.
- Heat the ingredients over medium heat and stir until a thick paste forms. This can take up to 10 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ teaspoons of pepper and ¼ cup of olive or coconut oil to the paste and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
- Store the paste in a glass jar. (Turmeric will permanently stain plastic containers.)
Golden Milk Recipe
- 1 cup of warm milk (I like a mix of whole milk and cream, but you can use any type of dairy or non-dairy product)
- 1 teaspoon of golden paste
- ½ teaspoon of almond or sesame oil
- Honey, maple syrup or the sweetener of your choice to taste
- Add the ingredients to a mug and stir until the golden paste dissolves.
The Best Turmeric Powder
If you’re in a pinch and want to make golden paste, but don’t have organic turmeric available at your local store, go ahead and make it with the turmeric powder that you find. I’ve done this and found the plain turmeric to be quite helpful.
When shopping for quality turmeric, look for an organic product that has at least 3% percent curcumin. I recently tried the OrganicTurmeric Root Powder by Iza Organics. This product has 5.8% percent curcumin, the most I’ve ever seen in a ground turmeric product. The spice comes in a re-sealable bag and a nice wooden spoon. When you order the turmeric, you also receive a complimentary e-book with recipes.
While the turmeric powder may seem pricey, it’s important to remember that a little goes a long way. A small bag will last you a while.
I received the products mentioned in exchange for an unbiased review. This post contains affiliate links, meaning that I receive a small commission if you click on a product link and make a purchase through Amazon.com.