Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Dollar Store Gardening Idea with Succulents

Toward the end of May, I went to a dollar store to buy some plastic liners for my planters. While I didn't find any liners, I found these cute guys (see the pictures below).

You're supposed to grow grass seeds out of the tops of their heads, but I removed the seed pods, filled up the bodies with dirt and planted small sempervivum succulents (hens and chicks).


I don't usually like head planters, but I think these guys look great. 

I water them using a spray bottle and spray streams (not mists) of water into the openings around the bottom of the plants. The bottom of the planters are porous, so I can also leave them in a tray of water for about an hour to soak the dirt. 

What cool items have you used as planters? What kind of succulents do you use? 

P.S. I tried to grow the grass seeds in a separate pot for my cat. They never sprouted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment